have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Semi-Vegetable Dhall Curry

Lately the weather has been really bad for health. Haze, haze everywhere! I just wonder what's gonna happen to the world when we pass it on to our children's generation.
Haze has definitely affected my diet. Vegetable is all I think about lately but then not enough to keep my tummy full, that explains me eating, munching, chomping the whole day through! My mom has this wonderful dhall curry which she loves! Very, very simple to make too!
100 gm ikan bilis (dried anchovies) 150 gm yellow dhall (rinsed, drained) 5 leaves of Peking cabbage (torn to small pieces) 10 baby long beans ( break into 3 equal lengths) 1 huge very ripe red tomato (wedges) 5 inch carrot (thinly sliced) 2 cloves of garlic (chopped) 2 shallots (chopped) 5 Tbsp fish sauce 5 Tbsp fish curry powder (mix with water until becomes a paste) filtered water sea salt to taste
  1. Heat some olive oil in a curry pot.
  2. Throw in the garlic, shallots and stir till lightly brown and not burnt.
  3. In goes the ikan bilis, fry till fragrant.
  4. Scrap in the curry powder paste and stir approx. 2 minutes.
  5. Top up with a little filtered water (not too watery please) and put in the dhall, simmer 5 minutes.
  6. Put in carrots and tomatoes, simmer another 5 minutes.
  7. Add a little more water and fish sauce.
  8. Put in the rest of the vegetables (I like them slightly raw and crunchy, that's why I put them in last), simmer for 2 minutes. (If you prefer the vegetable to be thoroughly cooked, put them in together with the carrots).
  9. Salt to taste.
I can just eat it on its own! which I did.

4 Comments:

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients