have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Penang Char Koay Teow (Flat Rice Noodles)

The ever famous Penang Char Koay Teow, makes me salivate everytime I see or smell it! I am not a picky eater but I am real fussy about my plate of char koay teow. I remember during my school days in Convent Green Lane, there was this school canteen hawker who serves a to-die-for wet char koay teow. Hungry like a cow after school, I always must have a plate at least 3 times a week. Sometimes, I cannot wait so long and just had to have a dose of it during recess time when the canteen is usually ever so crowded. I always thought lining up for my plate of koay teow was a game of 'squeeze-in-queue' and have to say it's the survival of the most determined. I must say until todate, I am yet to savour a plate of the authentic "Convent Green Lane Canteen Char Koay Teow" as how I remembered it. Even after much attempts, I still cannot fry koay teow the exact same way. So, here my closest replica of the REAL THING.

1 packet of koay teow - rinsed in hot water to rid unwanted oil. (serves 3). Recipe will be according to 1 portion.

1 handful taugeh (beansprout), 1/2 handful garlic chives (cut to the length of beansprout), 3 peeled and deveined prawns (leave tail intact), 1 egg

2 Tbsp Chili paste, 1 Tbsp chopped garlic, dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, sea salt

Heat grape seed oil in a wok, throw in the chopped garlic and chili paste. Stir 30 seconds add prawns. Stir 1 minute and put in the koay teow, dark and light sauce and stir another minute. Put in all the sprouts and garlic chives, stir 30 seconds and push all ingredients in the wok aside. Crack an egg and stir in the free space created earlier in the wok. Slowly flip the koay teow over the quickly cooking egg. (Careful not to over stir, may cause the eggs to be too scrambled). Here, I add a little hot water to give it a wet style. (Chicken or prawn stock may be used). Salt to taste.

Note : I love my fried koay teow with large raw shelled cockles just covered with piping hot koay teow. The raw springy texture is just overwhelming! Sadly, I was very dissapointed for I could not find any fresh looking cockles in the market today and most of them look so depressingly tiny. Life has to go on with or without cockles!

7 Comments:

  • hi audrey, feeling better already? hope so! your char kway teow looks perfect :) i like the photo, looks nice. u can nvr go wrong with white plates. its what the pros use =) well done lady!

     
  • wow you can fry it just like the hawker style! thumbs up!

     
  • wow ! using grape seed oil.....never did that before. Try using duck egg...nicer..

     
  • See ham!!!

     
  • Evan .. thks feelin' much better, that's how the char koay teow came about! chuckle!

    Thanks a lot Rachel!

    Mike...I think u r right, duck eggs are more fragrant and not so soft in texture.

    Teckiee ... i know, absolutely regretted not trying harder to find those little buggers!

     
  • awww man... those looked so delicious!

     
  • hey there Audrey. I just found out your site. Wahhhhh.....That Char Koay Teow certainly looks delicious!! Makes me longing for a plate now..hahaha. Guess I will fry it this week:)

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients