Tomato Egg Drop Soup
Simple as it sounds, this is a nutritious clear soup fit for everyone. Most likely originated from mainland China, this delicious wonder has found its way to my home and placed itself comfortably on my dining table and has never left since. This recipe serves 4 persons. Stock 1 whole chicken breast with bone (blanche in boiling water to rid impurities) 2 litre of filtered water 3 cloves garlic (washed, whole) 2 piece of 1 inch old ginger (smashed) Ingredients 3 medium size plum red tomatoes (blanche and skin and seeds discarded - cut flesh into small cubes) 2 soft square tofu (cut into small tiny cubes) 1 egg Method
- Bring water to boil in a soup pot.
- Put in garlic, ginger and chicken breast.
- Simmer for 40 minutes. Leave aside covered on the stove.
- Just as about to dine, strain stock (discard chicken breast, garlic and ginger) and bring to boil.
- Drop in tomato and tofu cubes.
- Boil for 5 - 8 minutes. Beat the egg and slowly drizzle it into the boiling soup. (cloud effect)
- Cut off heat. Season with sea salt and serve.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions or chopped coriander leaves. (Optional)
- If preferred and thicker soup, just dissolve 1 Tbsp cornflour in normal temperature water and add to simmering soup until it begins to thicken.