have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Braised Pork Belly and Baby Pig Intestines

I am utterly dissapointed with my internet service provider STREAMYX! Just as I was about to press SAVE and PUBLISH my post ... I lost all connectivity. What great timing! Anyway, here goes my post again ...... waste of precious time! It has been a while since I last had this succulent braised baby pig intestine dish. Cooked almost the same way as "Tau Yu Bak" (Braised Pork Belly in Soya Sauce) except for a longer list of ingredients which makes it a mouth-watering authentic dish for any special occassion. As for me, the occassion today is "EAT" for I have been very discipline with my food intake for the last 2 weeks consecutively. I was on my 'Steamboat Diet' together with my whole family. Oiless, Carboless and redmeatless.... I survived and feeling very much refresh and rejuvenated.

Ingredients A 400 gm pork belly (the leaner part with skin, blanche in boiling water) 2-3 bunches of baby pig intestines (blanche in boiling water) 4 hard boiled eggs (shelled) 1 can of abalone (sliced thinly and retain juice in can for stock) 6 dried chinese mushrooms (wash and soak in hot water for 10 minutes, retain water) 100 ml hot water sea salt to taste 1 cup brandy (approx. 150 ml) Ingredients B grapeseed oil 2 star anise 5 cloves 3 cloves garlic (smashed with skin) 1 cinnamon stick 8 black peppercorns (crushed slightly) 1 large dried oyster (rinsed throughly and chopped finely) 4 Tbsp scallop sauce or oyster sauce Dark soya sauce Light soya sauce

Heat oil in wok and put in all of the Ingredient B, mushrooms and pork belly. Flip pork belly until seared then add mushroom water and bring to simmer for 10 minutes. Then add hot water and simmer for another 20 minutes. Pour in the abalone juice and put in the intestines (whole bunches) and eggs, simmer for another 15 minutes. Sea salt to taste. Leave to sit in the gravy for 1/2 a day and just heat up before serving.

For a thicker gravy-like braise, thicken with a tsp of cornflour dissolved in filtered water. Pour in, stir and heat up before serving.

To serve, slice pork belly into bite size pieces, trim intestine into smaller bunches, pour in brandy and garnish with sliced abalone.

7 Comments:

  • Wah seh...didn't visit your blog for so long (been real busy) and so many delicious food. Yummylicious!!! Keep up the good work!!!

     
  • This looks so sinful but who cares, it is so yummy looking. *drooling now*

     
  • oh gosh, braised stuffs are my favorite audrey!! esp the intestines...i simply love them. yours look really great. i love your photos, very nicely taken :) are intestines expensive in m'sia? i always like to order extras in my kuay chap but for S$2 (abt RM4.60) its only a pathetic portion :( looks like i must buy my own and braise them, so i can stuff myself silly. haha.

     
  • steamboat diet? sounds interesting, and the whole family was in? how nice :)

     
  • hmmm.... pig's trotters two weeks back and now braised pork belly, dun think I can follow your diet as I will surely balloon out, especially when your dish looks so good!

     
  • yumm.. this reminds me of bah kut teh.. oh damn, i miss BKT !!!

     
  • welcome back Jadepearl, always glad to have u back!

    OOO PM, u like intestines too?

    Evan, For RM5.00 I can get 3 bunches of 'sang cheong' approx. 10 inches long each. Eat your heart out baby!

    Oh yes Rachel, I will be posting my steamboat diet hopefully soon cos I tried twice but blogspot is not very well lately.

    Cath, I promise to be more healthy... body telling me not to over work the arteries aredi!

    Hi Swee! yea me love BKT too!

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients