Wholemeal French Toast
8 slices of wholemeal bread cut into half.
3 fresh low cholesteral eggs (slightly beaten)
50 ml fresh milk
20 ml filtered boiled water
Brown organic sugar
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and drizzle in some grapeseed oil.
- Mix the slightly beaten eggs together with milk and water. Whip vigorously with a fork. Set aside.
- Dunk the bread into the egg mixture until it is evenly coated on both sides.
- Quickly place the bread on the hot pan. Repeat until pan has no more space left for another slice of bread. (Usually 3 - 4 slices) Turn bread over when the bottom side is slightly brown. When both sides are golden brown (golden brown does not mean burnt!) Lower down the heat and sprinkle sugar on both sides of the bread. Flipping them from side to side and quickly take them off the heat. (slightly tricky here ... practice makes perfect!)
- Wipe away the oil and sugar left in the pan with kitchen paper towels and repeat the process all over again.
- There are many ways to prepare "French Toast" but I like mine with enough egg mixture and evenly coated with melted sugar. I always thought it was worth all the trouble.