have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

When the cook falls sick, does the food keep going?

Today is one of those days, the mind is sharp but the physical body is no where near it. Got a package deal ranging from fever, phlegm, a bit of the sniffles and sore throat. I guess I should just empty my pocket once a year and get back to the cordyceps regime for 2 months.
This is a genuine question for all you out there who is the family cook. What do you eat when you're under the weather. Too tired or sick to whip up food? Who cooks us our meals? Does that mean, the better half has to pack food home? or do we still have to drag ourselves to the kitchen and make porridge with ikan bilis soup to nourish ourselves back to health? Just curious.
Anyway, this post is concentrated towards the accompanying vegetables more than the pork chops itselves. I have used the same pork chop recipe found in one of my posts in August 2006 "Pork Chop Stack".
As you can see in the photograph, there is this small green cabbage-like vegetable which I cut into wedges and stir-fried with some yellow capsicum and red bell peppers. This small cabbage is actually our locally grown brussel sprouts. It's a lot lighter, crispier and crunchier compared to it's original imported counterpart. I prefer this specie, it's sweet and easy on my digestive system. In fact, this combination of vegetables brings out the best flavour in the pork chops.
I devoured my meal with 2 slices of wholemeal bread and a tall glass of icy cold plain water. Satisfying!
Note : I had this meal sometime last week not today.

9 Comments:

  • Aiyo! I think Blogger also sick! Layout just went crazy!

     
  • Hey audrey, do take care ya? :) Hope u'll get well soon!

     
  • oh boy, you're sick? poor thing...do take good care! seen a doc i suppose? but sick still can whip up such yummy looking dishes *salute*

    as for me, definitely no stress if i'm sick. will cook some plain porridge and go with simple stuffs like omelette, canned food etc. and my hubby will eat that with me. either that or he'll tarpao stuffs like kway teow beehoon soup. but frankly i don't really like it. so u feeling the pressure of not being able to cook while u r sick?

     
  • If my better half is around, then it will be takeaway for us. with bad luck, then i will have to drag myself into the kitchen to prepare a sandwiches for my two little ones. Can't leave them hungry right?

    I know how you feel. So I pray good timing when I fall ill. LOLz

     
  • Take care Audrey and get well soon! Usually when I'm sick and if I am alone, just have to either resort to outside made porridge or home made one depending on how weak I am. Luckily I don't get really sick or else very susah.

     
  • Hope you are feeling much better.. I guess mommies don't get much time out to be sick eh? Hang in there!

     
  • when my mommy falls sick either i cook or dad cooks..or v simply order food... v avail any option easily

     
  • thank you everyone for all your get well wishes and nice to know most of u feel the same when we r unwell. Yea timing is everthing!

     
  • get well soon....

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients