have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Merdeka Special - Malaysian Recipe Long Forgotten

"Malaysia, a beautiful country that reflects the way of life for many ethnic groups living together in harmony on a small piece of land sandwiched between Thailand and Indonesia. We owe it all to God who has given us the ability to love one another, the way HE loves us. Without LOVE, I cannot imagine peace, tolerance, patience, kindness, respect and forgiveness.
GOD loves you Malaysia!"
I would like to thank fellow food blogger, babe in the city for hosting a little "down memory lane" food special for our Independence Day. As exciting as it seems, it is truly difficult to cook something like that! I had 2 lovely recipes in mind, alas- it was not meant to be! For the first dish, I couldn't find the main ingredient here in Kuala Lumpur. As for the second recipe, the fruit I was looking for was not in season. What are the odds, really? I finally settled for my third recipe which I find appropriate for this event. I now call it "Dry Muhibbah Curry", before, it was a nameless curry just whipped up whenever there is a craving for it .

The word 'Muhibbah' here is reflected in the style of cooking more than the ingredient itself. It consists of lots of pounding of fresh ingredients in a mortar just like the Malays and is later thickened with an egg just like in our Chinese ala "Sar Hor Fun" style.

Ingredients to be pounded : 5 large red chilis, 5 dried chilis, 3 chili padi (bird-eye), 5 shallots, 2 clove garlic, 1 Tbsp toasted belacan (prawn paste), 1 Tbsp dried shrimps.

1 kg peeled and deveined prawns (leaving tail on), 2 medium size aubergines, 8 lady fingers, 2 red juicy tomatoes. All vegetables cut into bite size pieces. 3 small pieces of salted fish head (pre-fried in oil), 1 dried cuttlefish (cut in small pieces).

Heat oil in a curry pot. As usual, put in all the pounded ingredients and fry till fragrant. Add a little sugar, cuttlefish and the salted fish head pieces, add a little hot water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Put in the prawns and stir, followed by the cut vegetables. Curry gravy should be thick. Lastly, crack an egg, slightly beaten and drizzled into the curry gravy quickly. Stir a bit and add salt to taste. There you have it, my family's Dry Muhibbah Curry!

8 Comments:

  • hi audrey - do like the fact that you've added salted fish to the curry (gives it a special fragrance and taste) - reminds me of my mum's curry.

     
  • hi audrey, that looks absolutely delish! i love salted fish, esp in fried rice, but never have it in curry b4 =) oh btw, i hope u got my msg abt the move of my blog. i switched to blogspot. do update with the new link if u hv the time. take care dear!

     
  • audrey, this is such a simple curry dish and has my hubby's fave salted fish hahaha. great! thanks for participating!

     
  • Cath ... wow! when r u cooking your Mom's curry? (waiting patiently)

    Evan ... salted fish is authentic isn't it? btw, I got ur msg, will update as soon as I can. 3 cheers to yr new wonderful blog!

    Babe, great! at least the humble salted fish has many faithful followers!

     
  • Hey Audrey,

    I am Bee Yinn @ Rasa Malaysia, a newbie food blogger. Those clams on your profile look very delicious! I am a clam fanatic...I just love all kind of clams and shellfish. Are those Kepar? It's sad because I can't get the Malaysian "species" in the USA...sigh sigh.

     
  • Happy Merdeka Audrey! Great looking curry you have there and I like the addition of salted fish into it.

     
  • audrey, dish looks yummy and the name is certainly appropriate! :)

     
  • BY .. They might be called Kepar but I am not too sure. I love it cooked with julienne ginger and chinese rice wine. Oooo la la!

    Boo.. salted fish definately add a very unique taste to curries.

    Thanks Rachel!

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients