have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Stir Fry Salted Mustard Green with Pork Belly

I can't remember when was the last time I cooked this appetising dish. Lately, with the terrible haze covering Kuala Lumpur, my appetite too, was rudely affected. Was scratching my head as to what to cook to bring back some sort of cravings ... something salty, spicy and fatty might just do the trick.

Got myself a packet of preserved salted mustard green (the type with some leaves) and here goes ... 300 gm pork belly (cut into bite size portions) - marinate with a little dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, white pepper, sea salt, pinch of sugar and a dash of sesame oil. 3 cloves of chopped garlic. 5 thin slices of old ginger. 3 bird eye chili (sliced, seeds removed). 1 packet salted mustard green - soaked in water to rid access saltiness, drained and sliced thinly. (Squeeze dry by hand)

- Heat wok without any oil, drain all access water from salted mustard green and fry till dry and slightly crunchy. - Take it out of the wok and cool. (The process above is to maintain its crunchiness) - Heat work and drizzle a little olive oil, throw in the chopped garlic, ginger and chili. Stir a while and dump in the cut up pork belly, fry until pork turn slightly brown (juices all sealed in). - Add in the salted mustard green and continue to fry for another 10 minutes, adding a little hot water to keep it from drying up. (This dish has a little gravy) - Sea salt, sugar and light soya sauce to taste. - Serve with steaming white fluffy basmathi rice.

13 Comments:

  • waaaaa audrey, how come u r making so many of my favorite dishes nowadays?! LOL. i've had this b4 too, not sure when. its a really nice savory dish. and the kiam chye is very appetizing. can finish 2 bowls of rice just with this dish alone :p

     
  • Audrey,

    Are you from Penang? The food you cook is exactly what I had growing up...just curious.

     
  • Mom used to cook that with pre-fried fish slices. Your version sounds good too!

     
  • Appetising alrite, waah Evan, 2 bowls of rice? burp!

    Yup RM, I am born and bread on Penang island and practically grew up with all these food I cook. (Now exported to Kuala Lumpur). I am quite sure u too, right? except u'r in the States :D I realise Penang do export a lot of people like us worldwide doesn't it?

     
  • Oh Tummythoz, every healthy version with fish, should try it one day. Thanks for the thot.

     
  • hi, great to know u r from Pg !
    This Kiam Chye thing I really love esp the one with tha assamy taste.

    have u featured perut ikan yet, I wonder ?

     
  • Yes Audrey, I tag you to cook Perut Ikan. I can't though since I don't have the ingredients. Since I cooked Cincaluk, so it's your turn to cook Perut Ikan!

    Also, Gulai Kiam Hu Kut (Salted Fish Bones Curry?). ;)

     
  • alamak ! since u r so near, maybe i ought to call ya and visit for some nice delish dish.....home cook...can I ?

     
  • i sooo missed harm choy but strangely i never cooked it before :p

     
  • Tonixe, are u from Penang as well?

    Ahhh! RM u tagged me!!! Perut ikan very difficult to get in KL but I have ordered some thro a friend going back this month end. Hopefully she can get me some. Looks like Perut ikan has to wait. Waa! Gulai kiam hu kut is alsoone of my fav. he he he also ordered some of these 'kut' along with perut ikan.

    Mike, are u one of my neighbours? uh?


    Babe, it's ok not to try cooking harm choy, cos then u will never get hooked! ha ha ha

     
  • AC,
    sorry, not from Penang.
    but admire many things Penang.

    I so happen to have a friend in KL who loves to cook perut ikan,kiam hu tau curry, assam laksa and kerabu beehun from time to time !He claims that his AL is better than the Balik Pulau one !

    the next time (right before) he does that again I shall drop u a line ....!

     
  • Tonixw, u seems to be living in the best of both worlds. Gettin to eat all those fabulous food without needing to cook it yourself! I sometimes wish I get that chance too. Pls post his dishes in your blog for us to see! very excited!

     
  • kam sia
    eh sai a sai !

    bang kia ah !

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients