have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Clear Fish Noodle Soup

Past 2 weeks have been a little unmanageable, too many things happening at the same time. Next week, I will be moving to audreycooks.com and hopefully all of you will follow me there for more recipes from "somewhere in my kitchen". I have really miss posting regularly and I hope to make up for it soon.
Lately, it has been raining 'cats and dogs' in the afternoons and I though this is suppose to be dry season. Obviously I made the wrong choice to renovate my home during this time. Anyway, what's done cannot be undone, just have to wait it out!
Whenever it rains, I crave for soupy stuffs, wonder you guys feel the same? Today, 'clear fish noodle soup' seems to ignite a growl in my tummy.

Fish Stock 2 thumb size old ginger (washed and smashed) 500 gm fish bones 2 litres filtered water

  1. Heat a saucepan and add some olive oil.
  2. Fry ginger and fish bones until fragrant.
  3. Add water and bring to boil for 15 minutes. Simmer for 30 minutes and leave to cool.
  4. Drain stock.
Ingredients Fish slices (freeze the fish for 30 minutes before slicing - easier) Julienne of ginger Tofu garlic oil tong hoe or coriander leaves spring onions (chopped) Rice noodles (blanche in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain)
  1. Put blanche rice noodles (bee hoon) in a serving bowl.
  2. Scoop some fish stock into a small saucepan, bring to boil.
  3. Put in the ginger, tofu, fish slices and vegetable of your choice.
  4. Let it boil for 2 - 3 minutes, season with a little sea salt.
  5. Pour over rice noodles in the serving bowl.
  6. Garnish with lots of garlic oil, white pepper and spring onions.
  7. Serve with a small sauce plate of chopped chilies with soya sauce.

10 Comments:

  • Hey Audrey Cooks,

    Welcome back to posting...I was wondering what you were up to.

    Congrats on the new domain, that's very neat!

     
  • First time here...Love your blog...will definitely try some of the recipes.

    TehSee

     
  • Bee Yinn, thanks! just call me Audrey, btw try sending me an e-mail to my new addy: audrey@audreycooks.com see if that works.

    Hi Teh See! welcome and do by all means cook your heart out!

     
  • while u were away, my friend's perut ikan came out and I couldn't leave u a msg. good now that u r back........soon

     
  • Yeah, it's raining everyday which makes me crave for stews and soupy things too! Congrats on the new site.

     
  • Congrats on your new domain. Looking forward to more cool dishes from you.

     
  • Penang also always heavy rains, so better cooked at home.

     
  • Hi, would love to try this fish soup sometimes. You are moving to another blogging platform ? Is it Wordpress ? Me stuck with Blogger.com...wonder if the old blogs in blogspot can be "migrated" with ease to Wordpress ?

     
  • Wonder if I could try this with any kind of fish fillets (frozen kind)...
    Looks so...oooo yummy.

     
  • Tigerfish, u may substitute with other fish fillets but I realise the frozen ones like dory etc will not be able add oomph to the dish. In other words, frozen fish is convenient to purchase but not as tasty as fresh fillets from sek pan, ma yaw etc.

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients