have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Power of Lime

'Lime' classified under the citrus fruit family, is an essential ingredient in a variety of Malaysian dishes from the ever popular kerabu (sweet, spicy and sour salad) to mee siam (Thai-styled vermicelli). It is also widely consumed as a refreshing lime drink equivalent to its lemon counterpart as in lemonade.
What I would like to highlight here is not how widely it is used but its value as a preventive alternative for the common cold or influenza. This little citrus has high doses of vitamin C which helps strengthens our immunity system to enable us to fight off the common cold before it is full blown.
The minute I feel slightly under the weather, (before the nose gets all stuffy and runny) instead of drowning myself in a glass of high dosage of synthetic vitamin C, I just squeeze 2 limes and drink all its juices. Once in the morning and once at night. For those with gastric problems, advisable to take it after food. Bound to feel better the next morning. If not repeat the process for another day. For children, take only the juice of one lime.
This remedy has certainly helped my whole family and thanks to my sister who shared this little accidental wonder with me. It has in fact saved me a lot of unneccesary medical bills.

6 Comments:

  • hahhaa... just by looking at this little limes already I can feel my mouth salivating.

    Do you mix with water or drink it neat?

     
  • No recipe for meals/cocktails? I was so excited when I saw your title as I bought quite a bagful just yesterday. They looked so fresh so juicy, I could not resist. When I was stuffing m into the bursting fridge, it dawned on me that I don't need so many! Pls advise.

     
  • calamansi - one of the best ingredient and versatile too.

     
  • i used to drink half a cup of this con.juice to wake me up after a heavy last night ....

    maybe i just like the taste !

     
  • kasturi ping anyone!?

    I love to squeeze its juice and mix with cream cheese and chopped chilies for a nice flavoursome dip for potato wedges.

     
  • Hmm Thanis, sounds delicious... might give it a try for Christmas party. Thanks!

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients