have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Masak Titik

Ask me how this soup got its name, sorry to dissapoint, my answer is I don't know. For those of you who know, please give me some feedback. Frankly speaking, some use watermelon skin for this delicacy but as for me, I grew up drinking this soup made from wintermelon. 1.5 litres filtered water 500 gm wintermelon (discard skin, cut into chunks) Ingredients to be pounded in a mortar 5 chili padi (discard seeds) 2 large red chili (discard seeds) 3 shallots (discard skin) 1 Tbsp belacan (toasted) 5 white peppercorns (crushed) 120 gm dried shrimps (soaked in water for 5 minutes and drained) - hae bee sea salt to taste
  1. Bring water to boil in a soup pot.
  2. Put in all the pounded ingredients and boil for 15 minutes.
  3. Throw in the wintermelon chunks and boil for another 10 minutes then bring to simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
  4. Add sea salt to taste.
  5. Soup ready to be served.

1 Comments:

  • Aiyo Audrey,

    I completely forgot about this soup and obviously the name Masak Titik sounds very familiar to me, but thanks for cooking up this nostalgic dish... :)

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients