have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Healthy Diet Day 2 - Steamboat Dinners

Day 2 healthy eating strives for a change of ingredients but still complying to the 3 rules I mentioned yesterday. I guess the first 2 days are tough, having a high metabolic rate body system, I was hungry before I retired for the night. A cereal 'night cap' actually helped me make it through the night. Eventually after the 2nd day, my body adapted slowly to the healthier dinners.

Fresh shiitake mushrooms - a great selection for tonight's meal. Shiitake contains high levels of niacin and riboflavin. They also possess an amino acid that helps lower cholesterol and improves blood circulation, and lentinan, which stimulates the production of white blood cells essential to the immune system. According to some research, it is thought to be effective in fighting hepatitis B and some types of cancer. (write up extracted from "A Cook's Guide to Asian Vegetables" by Wendy Hutton)

Fresh Norwegian Salmon - is the only meat for tonight. Approximately 300 gm per person, sliced thinly or in small chunks, to suit your choice. I just rubbed on some sea salt, white pepper and dashes of white wine, marinate cling wrapped in the fridge until ready to eat.

Chinese Baby Spinach (Amaranth) - pictured on top of the 'choy sum' in the above photo. I enjoy this vegetable a lot especially in soups. Wonderfully rich in iron and not lacking in protein, Vitamin A, B and C. Also excellent as baby food!

Choy sum (Flowering cabbage) - is another widely used asian vegetable, popular in stir fries and noodle soups.

Pearl corns, snap peas, sliced carrots and canned baby corns complimented tonight's steamboat besides the usual must have (not pictured here) tong hoe, tofu (2 each), garlic oil and chopped chili in soya sauce.

Stock for tonight is yesterday's fresh fish bones saute in some olive oil with some slices of ginger until fragrant and topped up slowly with 2 litres of filtered water. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour. Run cool stock through a strainer and pour into steamboat pot.

5 Comments:

  • I really enjoy reading your blog as it is loaded with so much useful information. Keep it up.

     
  • the only meat is good enough for me ! Yr camera angles( n spread ) are quite impressive I must say.

    ( have included you in my links,tks )

     
  • Looks like it's time to swap the wok for the multi-cooker (to try out steamboat dinners, of course!). TQ for d idea.

     
  • I love those pearl corns - they may be expensive but so yummy. Keep up yr healthy eating, we're all behind you.

     
  • Thanks PM, glad of help. It's always good to know what we eat and all the vitamins that come along with it too.

    Tonixe, Oh you are just too kind! blush!!!

    Way to go Tummythoz!

    Join me boo and get ourselves ready for all those festive goodies coming our way soon!

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients