have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Vegetable Curry Hotpot

This week has been pretty hectic for me, that's why 'no posts'. I guess this is one of those weeks where my mind is constantly thinking... Yea! Malaysia Carnival Sale! but no time to go. Hmm, I sound simply pathetic! Most people would think being a homemaker is just so relaxing, I beg to differ. I do not fall under the category "Hire a housemaid and be a lady of leisure" I just don't know how and I guess I won't be thrilled doing just that.

Here's a recipe I have in archives but have not posted. It's called vegetable curry hotpot. Hotpot reflects the way it is cooked, just put everything in and simmer. You will need vegetables of course.

Rinsed and cut into small chunks : 1 large onion, 3 small aubergines/brinjals, 6 lady fingers, 2 red ripe tomatoes.

Rinse and make a slit : 2 large green chilies and 2 large red chilies.

To be blended : 3 cloves garlic, 5 shallots, 1 piece of 3" old ginger, 2 large red chilies, 3 bird-eye chilies, 3 dried chilies.

Soaked in hot water : 1 Tbsp tamarind paste, use the tamarind water and discard the seeds.

3 Tbsp curry powder of your choice, 1 tsp sugar, fresh milk and salt to taste.

Method : Heat olive oil in a curry pot, toss in all the blended ingredients, stir to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pot. When fragrant, add sugar and curry powder, continue to stir, add a little hot water at a time. Repeat a few times until curry liquid looks like thick gravy, not too watery. Add in all the cut vegetables, chilies and tamarind water, simmer for 15 - 20 minutes on low heat. Drizzle a small cup of milk in place of coconut juice and add salt to taste. This recipe is all about personal tastes, you may use a pinch here, a drizzle there as long as it gives you the taste you desire.

2 Comments:

  • wow, looks spicy but really delicious! i'm sure it'll be wonderful with piping hot rice =)

    well done audrey, keep all the yummies coming!

     
  • It is spicy alrite! Thanks Evan for all the encouragements.

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients