have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Spicy Curry Chicken

For those of you reading my blog regularly would know I have suddenly gone crazy with my sweet stuff more than my savoury and spicy. Maybe finally I am learning to enjoy the sweeter things life has to offer. I wonder if this is a starting point to mid-life cravings?? Today, I am back to my normal self and cooking one of my favourites ... Spicy Curry Chicken. This recipe is slightly different from my Fullmoon Fare curry chicken. All you need is :- 2 medium size chicken thigh with drumsticks (cut into bite size pieces) 4 chicken wings (cut into 2) 4 potatoes (cut into small chunks and par-boil) 1 ripe red tomato (cut into 4 wedges) 3 sprigs of fresh curry leaves 1 packet of chicken curry spices (powder) 20 gm assam (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and discard seeds) Olive oil 1 tsp sugar sea salt to taste 1 Tbsp tumeric powder Ingredients to be blended :- 6 shallots 2 cloves garlic 2 pieces of toasted belacan (approx. 50gm) 2 big red chilis 8 bird eye chilis 3 dried chilis Blend all ingredients together finely and saute in hot oil in the curry pot. Stirring to avoid burning, add curry leaves, curry chicken powder and tumeric powder. When fragrant add sugar and chicken pieces and stir until chicken pieces starts to brown slightly. Add a little hot water, assam water and tomatoes and potatoes, simmer for 20 minutes with lid on. Curry chicken serves 4 adults. One practical suggestion here, if you want to cook more and freeze the curry chicken in the freezer for weekday dinners, just omit the potatoes. I used to do that pretty often while I was working 9 to 6, and boy! do I look forward to dinner!

4 Comments:

  • Wow, your Spicy Curry Chicken is making me drool all over my keyboard :p

     
  • SD, likewise with ur blog, love those caramel cakes, made the brown sugar caramel cake once but lost the recipe. will try yours one day.

     
  • This looks so yummy. Really miss this dish and I would really love to make this. May I know what is assam? Is it the sticky tamarind paste or assam keping? I'm always confused between the two. Thanks.

     
  • Do enjoy cooking it, Sharon! yes it is the sticky tamarind paste.

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients