have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Marble Loaf Cake

Every baking household I know has their own 'tried and tested' marble cake recipe. As for me, this is my new version and I thought it was 'different'. This recipe is very moist and a little sticky in the centre and slightly crispy on the crusts when straight out from the oven. Love it for tea or as dessert after a hearty dinner, not to forget that cup of hot black frothy coffee. Just heaven! 250 gm all purpose flour 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate (add in the flour) 100 gm castor sugar 175 gm unsalted butter (room temperature) 80 ml sour cream 2 large eggs (room temperature) vanilla extract 125 ml boiling water 175 gm dark bitter chocolate (melted)
Pre-heat oven at 170 degree celcius. Grease the side of a loaf tin and sprinkle flour over. Line the tin with grease paper. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Alternate the flour and boiling water.
Cream until even and scoop out 3 scoops and add melted chocolate (chocolate batter). Pour batter into the baking tin followed by the chocolate batter.
Folding the chocolate batter into the cake batter to get the marble effect.
Bake for 40 minutes or till the cake tester say so.
I am afraid I didn't do too well here. The chocolate batter just decided to stay unmarbled. Anyway, came out good enough for me.

9 Comments:

  • the chocolate parts of your marble cake look really chocolatey..yummmm!

     
  • yea cath, it's also quite bittersweet and excellent with coffee.U like chocolates?

     
  • Hi audrey cooks,

    Why are u using boiling water for this cake? Just curious..

     
  • Seriously anonymous, I never really put much thought into that boiling water but I guess it is a step quicker to cook the batter before popping it into the oven for a moist damp texture.

     
  • tried baking the marble cake yesterday and it turned out fantastic-the best marble cake in the world! moist and very chocolatey. especially scrumptious fresh out of the oven as the chocolate is most moist then and the cake almost tastes like a soft center molten choc cake! just a question: what can i do if i want to make it even more moist?

     
  • Thanks anonymous for those lovely comments, try melting the butter and mixing with the rest of the ingredients... might just turn out they way u like it. That's what I'll do ... try making it using a few other methods. All the best!

     
  • thanks audrey! i am a new baker so appreciate your help! regards creme brulee

     
  • Hey Audrey,
    your marble loaf cake looked indeed delish! I've been looking for recipes that makes moist, dense and yummy marbled butter cake and yours looked good! does the top of your marbled cake cracks? I liked them evenly browned and smooth, like those sold in bakeries. Any ideas how to make them like that? :)

    -Kelsea

     
  • Yes, mine cracks a little on top. My friend once mentioned that her oven is the cooler type and always produces flat top cupcakes and cakes .... so I have yet to experiment.

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients