have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Roasted Oink! Oink! Belly

Roasted Oink Oink Belly! is actually 'siew yoke'. A very popular roast among Malaysian chinese. I would rate it more sought after than roast leg of lamb or even roast turkey here. This piece of roast is not directly associated with any particular festive season and can be found sold in almost every local chinese coffee shop here. I never thought I would one day attempt to make this myself, the truth is, it's pretty simple. A good piece would have beautiful light crackling skin, not too much fatty streaks and a tasty marinate. When you cut it with a cleaver, the crispy sound it makes is just out of this world. Everytime I have siew yoke at home, I make sure that I have bottles and bottles of chilled cold beer to dunk it in with. Satisfying just plain satisfying!
I remember my grandma (my late father's mother) would have a stout with siew yoke or roasted duck thigh every evening at 4pm. I was about 4 years old then. Radiofusion music piping from her kitchen. Hmm those good old days, not a care in the world!
Get yourself a good piece of pork belly (not too fatty please or else it will turn out too oily, happened to me)
Pat dry the piece of pork belly (8" X 15") with a kitchen towel.
Prick the skin with a sharp paring knife tip and slice slits on the other side of the meat.
Marinate the slited side of the meat with a mixture of 5-Spice powder (from the chinese medical hall) and some sea salt.
Some would encourage you to put it to dry under the sun but I am just too lazy. I just place it under a rotating ceiling fan in my dining for 2 - 3 hours.
Heat oven at 220 degree celsius and pop in the piece of meat drizzled with a little olive oil. Put timer to 20 minutes and turn down to 200 degree celsius after that, checking every 10 - 15 minutes to avoid burning. Baske the meat with its own dripping everytime you check.
Turn the heat down a little if it is too hot but the skin must continue to crackle. If it doesn't, means the oven is not hot enough. Please do not cover the meat with a cover or tin foil throughout the whole roasting process. The roasting time will depend on the size of the meat, how much fat on the meat and the heat of your oven. An average piece like mine would take approximately 1 hour. The meat will shrink a little when completely cooked.
Let the meat rest (cool) for 1/2 hour before chopping it up into bite size pieces with a sharp knife.

7 Comments:

  • aiyaiyaiyaiyai ! how can i be on diet after reading all these delish food from your blog.....u r killing me.......

    chuckle...great stuff....the siew yoke is definitely delish.....ever tried the german version.....pork trotters...yummy crackling too

     
  • u poor thing! on diet! german version, never tried b4, care to share the recipe. sounds yummy.

     
  • mmm,i love siew yok, but have yet to try doing it on my own!

     
  • sorry Audrey, i dont have the recipe....i ate them in Deutsches Gasthaus at Mont Kiara..

     
  • Hi rokh! love your blog. do try but make sure you watch the heat... the skin must always be crackling, slightly burnt never mind. do keep me posted.

     
  • it's ok...foodcrazee! I am yet to try Deutsches Gasthaus. I used to work near the restaurant while it was still in D'sara Heights.

     
  • Welcome to my blog dian, I never marinated pork belly in the fridge before but I guess when u do that the meat would be cold and if u were to leave it to room temperature, the meat would probably sweat and in order to have dry skin on the meat (for better crackling)it should be left at room temperature. I think the skin may not be crispy enough (may turn out rubbery and tough) and the texture might be different.

     

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients