have you ever had this nagging feeling of what to cook whenever a festive season is around the corner? what mood do i want to create? i want it to be different but not too overwhelming for my guests....who am i inviting? what is the occasion? are they adults or children? big eaters or mousy eaters? well there is room for everyone... read on.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Crabs and more crabs!

My favourite seafood is the crab, followed closely by the prawn. In my opinion, it's even tastier then lobsters or abalone. I like it steamed, salt baked, chilli, bisques, boulaibasse or just simply BBQed. When it is eaten freshly cooked it possess a very sweet flavourful tinge. I guess I just love seafood!
When we were young, our parents used to take us to the beach a lot. I don't enjoy swimming in the sea but I definitely love digging for shellfish washed up shore, prying small oysters off the rocks and eating them, chasing after little crabs or just building sand castles. Occassionally, we see fishermen with their evening catch coming to shore in their little sampan (boat). The fish and prawns still jumping around in the sampan and the squid (calamari) still looks transparent. Hmm can you imagine the freshness of the seafood? Mom will always buy some home and we will enjoy a delicious 'catch of the day' meal without must resistance.
A day by the beach was a real retreat for me then and is still is. For me, a vacation is not a vacation without the beach! The warmth of the fine white sand between your toes and the fresh sea breeze blowing, seagulls flying looking for fish and a book in hand. Ah! paradise! What can I ask for more but just thank God I am alive.
This is a one person recipe actually. I alone can eat 3 blue swimmers (crabs) easily.
3 blue swimmer crabs (cleaned and halfed)
6 medium size prawns
1 Tbsp Tauchu (whole beans)
2 Tbsp tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chilli sauce
3 big red chillies
3 small bird eye chilli
3 cloves garlic
sugar
sea salt
Blend all chillies and garlic together.
Heat up some olive oil in a wok, tumis (sauteed) the blended ingredients and tauchu till fragrant.
Add in the sauces and a little hot water for a more watery consistency.
Put in the crabs, followed by prawns.
Stir and cover for 15 minutes. Sugar and salt to taste

0 Comments:

<< Home

About Me  
I'm Audrey from Somewhere in my kitchen, Malaysia.

My profile

Categories  
Bake Stuff
Breakfast Choice
Mealtime Recipes
Celebration Food
Herbal Remedies
Confinement Recipe Journal
Ingredients